Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Carina Round

I was looking forward to seeing Carina Round play the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn a few weeks ago, but fate intervened. I have fond memories of the Knitting Factory (I've seen two of my heroes play there: Ken Andrews and Chris Corner a.k.a. IAMX), and seeing Carina play there would more than make up for when I missed her opening set for Puscifer last year. However, the night I saw Electric Youth, Anoraak, and College play the Music Hall of Wiliamsburg for the first night of "The Drive Tour" my car got broken into. Fun! On the plus side, that triple bill was pretty fantastic - Anoraak in particular blew me away.

In short, I created a poster especially for Carina's gig at the Knitting Factory, but with my passenger window obliterated and in need of replacing, my funds and enthusiasm for Brooklyn were in low supply. The good thing about this was it allowed me to fine tune the poster a bit more, even if I wouldn't be able to get a physical copy to the band and some fans in person, as planned.

The original illustration was completed in pencil and watercolor pencils on watercolor paper. It was then scanned, and modified digitally as per usual.

Also, make sure you hear Carina's excellent new album "Tigermending." It's really, really good.

Thumbnails





Original "Dry" illustration


Early Photoshop exploration.


Just add water...


More Photoshop explorations. The following 2 designs are close to the ones I'd originally planned on printing and passing out at the Knitting Factory show.

Show specific: July 24th at the Knitting Factory.


General tour poster.



Final designs (for now at least).


"Generic" poster, sans the tour specific text.




Update (9/14/12): Some social media love from Carina herself!!






No comments:

Post a Comment