Monday, August 27, 2012

Big Black Delta pt. II

You can see my first post on Big Black Delta, including my original drawing and thumbnails, here.

I had indefinitely shelved my BBD poster until, seemingly out of nowhere, they announced a string of East Coast summer dates - most notably 3 intimate gigs in NYC: 2 at Pianos and 1 at Brooklyn Bowl.

Once we got tickets for the Pianos shows, I realized I had an opportunity to polish the poster I'd made, and make some show-specific versions of it. Looking at my framed NIN 'Wave Goodbye' posters for inspiration, I decided that I would make a general tour poster and 2 variations on the general one for each Pianos concert (August 9th and 17th respectively) - again, thinking like a fan, and thinking about what's appealed to me in the past.

The generic poster has no glitches, while the 2 Pianos versions have their own unique glitches in the illustration and in the text, not to mention their own slightly different color schemes. The awesome BBD logo in the bottom right was designed by the incredibly talented Caspar Newbolt of Version Industries, who has done amazing work for SONOIO, 65daysofstatic, Louis C.K. and many others.


U.S. Tour Poster

U.S. Tour poster graciously signed by the entire band: Jonathan Bates, Mahsa Zargaran, and Chris Hornbrook.



Pianos 8/9/12 Poster

Signed by Jonathan Bates



Pianos 8/17/12 Poster

Signed by Jonathan Bates:

My flyer for the 8/17 show which earned me a couple of free beers from the venue.



I didn't attend the Brooklyn Bowl show (which apparently had the band going on at 2:30am or so), but I was lucky enough to attend both Pianos shows obviously... and what shows they were. The first gig was more empty, subdued and intimate, while the second had a packed crowd of people ready to dance. Funny how a Thursday versus a Friday show makes a difference. Both nights were amazing, though, especially since both included new material which sounded great. In any case, I haven't danced like that in years. Needless to say, I can't wait to see BBD again. Look out for their next album to be released some time this October or November.

http://bigblackdelta.com/



Note: If any fans are interested in the above posters, I'm happy to print extra copies and send them your way, I only ask that you cover shipping and printing costs.





No comments:

Post a Comment