Sunday, October 31, 2010

NIGHT by NIGHT Clothing and Accessories

So my midterm for my Intro to Electronic Publishing class was pretty involved. First we had to create a fictional jewelery, pet, or clothing store then design a logo, letterhead, envelope, business card, and finally a package for an item at that store. Fairly quickly I decided that I wanted to go with a clothing company inspired by one of my favorite bands, Chromeo, given that they already have such a distinct fashion sense. The name was taken directly from one of their recent singles, "Night by Night." Once I settled on that, I began doing thumbnails...







...eventually leaning towards the sketch based on this black & white promo pic:



I then Photoshopped that in a way that was indicative of the original sketch I'd done.



From there, I used a sharpie marker on tracing paper to create a line drawing that was soon scanned. That drawing was adjusted in Photoshop to make it even more graphic. I also filled in the Moon shape and added text.



In retrospect, I'm not sure why I decided to omit Pee Thugg (the thickly beared gentelman on the right), but it wasn't a decision I wanted to make. At the time, I think I was going to produce the final logo in Photoshop, and Pee's presence wasn't entirely working for me in that format. Since this was a school project, and I knew my Professor wouldn't ask "Where's Pee?" or "Why did you remove Pee?" I obviously thought it was for the greater good. In any case, once I brought the Photoshop document into Illustrator it really came together. I got the thick graphic quality I was going for and could start playing around with the letterhead, business card, etc.



The logo was the biggest challenge at that point, so when that reached a place I was happy with, the other stuff fell into place fairly quickly, each one with subtle variations. These are the finals:







Lastly, I had to do the package design, which was by far the most intimidating aspect. I'm the first to admit that 3D is not my strength, so I wasn't looking forward to this. What was originally going to be a basic rectangular box for a pair of sunglasses turned into something more triangular (and hopefully more creative and unconventional). By the time I embraced the new shape I tried to fashion it in such a way that could make it work as a display case as well as an actual package. The bubble-wrap was "glued" down with spray mount. Eh, my Prof actually kinda liked it. Could have been much worse.







No comments:

Post a Comment