Friday, October 12, 2012

Free Dominguez

I can remember my 2 older brothers playing Kidneythieves when I was younger, and being very struck by it. "Taxicab Messiah" is hard to forget. One of my more distinct memories is staying up late one night watching MTV (which was the only time of day they when would play music videos when this happened) and being shocked to see the video for the title track from "Zerospace." I'm not even sure I knew a video existed for the song at the time - this being before YouTube, I immediately tried to tape as much of it as possible so I could share with my siblings the next day.

Since then, Kidneythieves have released a third album "Trypt0fanatic" and an EP "The Invisible Plan." Meanwhile, singer Free Dominguez has kept busy in between KT releases doing solo work. As of late, she's made a point to play intimate NYC shows when in the area. For her most recent NYC gig this past September, I tried illustrating the kind of poster I'd be interested in buying. Luckily, some other fans felt similarly!

Thumbnails


Final illustration
(you'll notice the right eye is under-developed since I knew I'd be covering it with an arrow anyway)


Hand-drawn arrow + text


Glitch-y effect I accidentally got when scanning the illustration - ended up being a critical part of the final poster!


Photoshop explorations.



Final poster.

(photo credit: Free Dominguez)


Keep an eye out for Free's upcoming Kickstarter campaign for her next solo LP 'Volacno+The Sea.'

Free on...



No comments:

Post a Comment